Keeping your above ground pools sparkling clean this summer can be so much easier with a vacuum and robotic pool cleaner. These automated robots work tirelessly and efficiently ensuring your pool water remains clean and healthy without you having to move a finger.
But, what is the best above ground robotic pool cleaner?
This guide helps answer these questions and a lot more besides to help you decide on what bot cleaner to get for your pool this summer.
The best above ground robotic cleaners carry out many functions including the vacuuming and scrubbing of pool floors and walls as well as the filtering of pool water at a microbial level to eliminate any kind of debris, contaminants or algae.
- 1 The 8 Ultimate Bots For Your Pool
- 1.1 1. Dolphin E10 Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
- 1.2 2. POOL ROVER S2 40, US, JET, 115VAC/48VDC, BLUE
- 1.3 3. Dolphin Escape Robotic Above Ground Pool Cleaner
- 1.4 4. Aquabot APRVJR Pool Rover Junior Robotic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 1.5 5. Hayward 500 Aquabug Suction Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 1.6 6. Polaris Vac-Sweep 65 6-130-00 Pressure Side Automatic Pool Cleaner
- 1.7 7. Zodiac Ranger Suction Side Automatic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
- 1.8 8. Pentair K50600 Kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac Suction-Side Above Ground Pool Cleaner Blue/White
- 2 The Best Above Ground Robotic Pool Cleaner
The 8 Ultimate Bots For Your Pool
Our comprehensive guide features eight of the most popular and highly recommended robotic pool cleaners and vacuums for this 2019 season of fun-filled water activities. Nothing beats the heat than a good old fashioned splash into your swimming pool. However, getting your pool ready for the season is often easier said than done.
If you are tired of paying costly maintenance fees and working up a sweat trying to constantly keep your pool dust and debris free than investing in one of these ultimate robotic pool cleaners can help you save not only time but also a ton of money in the long-run.
Each of the eight robotic cleaners features on this list has its own pros and cons that have to be carefully evaluated before making a purchase decision. Choosing wisely will allow for years of unmanned pool maintenance with these bots becoming almost a part of the family.
1. Dolphin E10 Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
The Dolphin E10 is a lightweight, easy to use pool cleaner. Thanks to its single button on/off operation all you have to do is plug the machine in, turn it on and drop it in your pool. It comes with a large filter basket that can be accessed through the top of the machine.
The robot cleaner navigates through the pool independently picking up on the finest dirt off the pool floor while keeping your filtration system clog-free. Aside from its simple mechanism, this machine is a lot more energy efficient so you don’t have to worry about hefty bills.
- Simple one button on and off
- Easy to use and clean
- Picks up on the tiniest dirt
- 8 times more energy efficient
- Can cover pools up-to 30 ft
- Functions independently
- The machine only cleans the floor not the walls
- Might need additional weights to keep it down
2. POOL ROVER S2 40, US, JET, 115VAC/48VDC, BLUE
If you’re looking for a cheaper alternative then the Aquabot Pool Rover is the best machine for you. This machine works effortlessly regardless of the surface, shape, and size of your pool. It comes with a 40’ long cable so the bot can reach and clean the entire surface area.
The transition from the floor to the wall might have to be done manually but otherwise, the machine does not require your supervision. Its powerful suction picks up on most of the debris. Because of its simple operation and sleek design, this machine is quite popular amongst new pool owners.
- Its cable does not tangle
- Easy to use plug and play operation
- Powerful suction
- Operates independently
- Cleans the floor and lower walls
- Waterline has to be cleaned manually
- Might get stuck around obstacles
3. Dolphin Escape Robotic Above Ground Pool Cleaner
This unit is a little more pricey than its cheaper alternatives, however, it’s a one-time investment. The Dolphin Escape comes with one of the largest filter bags which means you don’t have to empty the filter bag as often.
The dual motor ensures fast and efficient cleaning using less energy so you don’t have to worry about hefty bills. The pool cleaner works on all types of surfaces and can thoroughly clean larger areas but has a hard time climbing up walls. Anyone can easily lift the machine and drop it in the pool.
- Works on all types of pool surfaces
- Comes with a long cable for maximum coverage
- Has one of the largest filter cartridges
- Captures debris of all sizes
- It is very energy efficient
- Is quick and cleans thoroughly
- Relatively expensive for a pool cleaner
- Does not climb walls
- Limited 1-year warranty
4. Aquabot APRVJR Pool Rover Junior Robotic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
Aquabot is quite popular for its high-quality products that fit well within your budget. The Rover Junior is highly capable of cleaning any above ground pools in 1 hour or less, making sure it picks up on the very finest particles that sit on your pool floor.
Unlike most others, this bot is equipped with an automatic 2-hour shut off so you don’t have to supervise the cleaning. It may be flimsy looking but with regular maintenance, the bot will last you a few seasons.
- Easy on the pocket
- Reasonably lightweight
- Functions without supervision
- Comes with timer settings
- Quick filtration
- Has a hard time cleaning corners
- Does not clean walls
5. Hayward 500 Aquabug Suction Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
The Hayward cleaners come in 4 different versions each resembling some animated character which makes it a popular pick amongst people with young children. Installing these bots is pretty straightforward. It comes with detailed instructions and takes about 10 minutes to set up.
The bumper ring around the bottom of the machine minimizes scratches and damages. The machine works well on rough surfaces but can only be used for permanent above ground pools. Since it comes with a smaller filter bag make sure to clean the bag more often to avoid clogging.
- Comes in a variety of kid-friendly designs
- The bumper ring prevents friction
- Small and lightweight
- Easy installation
- Great value for money
- Works well on rough surfaces
- The filter bag is relatively small and might clog
- Hardly picks up on smaller dirt
6. Polaris Vac-Sweep 65 6-130-00 Pressure Side Automatic Pool Cleaner
The Polaris 65 is possibly the most efficient of pool cleaners. What’s unique about this machine is that it creates pressure within the water that hits against the side of walls loosening and getting rid of stubborn dirt.
It also features a detachable filter drag bag that keeps larger debris away from the filtration system preventing it from clogging. Its unmatched performance and long lasting durability make this pool cleaner truly great value of your money. It also works well on uneven surfaces.
- Cleans the bottom and sides of the pool
- Sleek compact design
- Can be used for all kinds of pools
- Comes with a unique filter bag that drags
- The cable might occasionally tangle
- Finding the right pressure can be tricky
7. Zodiac Ranger Suction Side Automatic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
The Zodiac Ranger is a single piece pool cleaner that requires no installation and is simple to use. Since it has almost no moving parts it reduces noise and requires minimum maintenance. Its relatively small and lightweight and can easily be carried or stored.
The machine is made for cleaning permanent above ground pools, therefore, using them in soft-sided pools is not recommended. Although it maneuvers itself around ladders it may occasionally get caught up around one.
- Quick soundless operation
- Easy to install and use
- Simple design
- Easily affordable
- Does not get caught up around obstacles
- The filter will need cleaning more often
- Might fail to clean the corners of your pool
8. Pentair K50600 Kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac Suction-Side Above Ground Pool Cleaner Blue/White
Where pool maintenance is concerned Pentair has earned its popularity amongst other brands. It comes with one moving part that eliminates the need for regular maintenance. It’s easy to set up and is ideal for small sized pools.
Its patented flapper design prevents the filtration system from clogging and is powerful enough to pick up on dirt of all sizes. It works well on all surfaces but can get caught up around obstacles. Since it requires no additional parts this pool cleaner is quite an affordable option.
- Single moving part is easy to maintain
- Works on all kinds of surfaces
- Cleans thoroughly
- Easy to set up
- No additional parts required
- Not entirely soundless
- Might get stuck around ladders
The Best Above Ground Robotic Pool Cleaner
Several factors have to be accounted for before making a purchase decision that is viable and feasible for your current pool maintenance needs. The best robotic pool cleaner for you is one that can cater to your current pool maintenance requirements whether that be water filtration, vacuuming, or scrubbing of walls and floors while still being within your budget.
The ultimate robotic pool cleaners are able to handle all three components of pool maintenance (filtering, vacuuming, and scrubbing) and come equipped with many modern features that make keeping your pool water clean and fresh a truly automated or ‘One-Touch’ process.
The products reviewed in this guide are from reputed sellers and manufacturers. Just make sure to consider your personal needs and then pick the one that best fits them.