A reel can make placing or removing the cover on your pool exponentially easy. Covering your pool when you’re not using it ensures that your pool water will stay clean as well as warm. Manually covering the pool is literally a pain in the butt – you will find excuses not to cover your pool. Same goes for a bad reel – one which is unwieldy and hard to use.
With a good reel, you can cover or uncover the pool in seconds. However, with an overabundance of the pool reels available on the market, choosing one can be a challenge. If you aren’t sure what is the best solar cover reel, you have come to the right place.
- 1 The Best Reels for Your Swimming Pool Cover
- 2 1. VINGLI Pool Reel Set 14 Feet Aluminum Inground Pool Solar Reel
- 2.1 2. Nova Microdermabrasion Inground Pool Cover Reel Set
- 2.2 3. Aqua Splash 16 Ft. In Ground Swimming Pool Cover Reel
- 2.3 4. Inground Swimming Pool Blanket Solar Cover Reel
- 2.4 5. Rocky’s 3A In Ground Pool Solar Reel – Up to 20 Feet Wide
- 2.5 6. Automatic Solar Blanket Cover Reel/Roller – Remote Controlled
- 2.6 7. Easyzon Pool Solar Cover Reel for Inground Swimming Pools
- 2.7 8. Best Choice Products 21ft Aluminum Inground Swimming Pool Cover Reel
- 2.8 9. Pool Boy Powered Pool Solar Blanket Reel
- 3 Conclusion
The Best Reels for Your Swimming Pool Cover
If you’ve an in-ground pool, here are some of the top-quality, best-selling pool cover reels available on the market. We will quickly review all of these so you can pick the one that fits your bill.
1. VINGLI Pool Reel Set 14 Feet Aluminum Inground Pool Solar Reel
Available in three different sizes i.e. 14 feet, 18 feet, and 21 feet, and in two different colors, this is one of the best pool cover reels. You will totally love the durable, maintenance-free and rust-free construction.
Assembling the reel is super easy. The operation is even easier – thanks to the embedded strap link design and one hand crank on mechanism. You can singlehandedly cover or uncover a big pool in seconds. And when and not in use, two big wheels make it easy to move it out of the way.
Another feature that we really loved is the mechanical lock that prevents rotation of the roller when you have rolled the cover off of the pool. The manufacture slips in an extra gift of a number of clips in case any of the built-in ones break.
- Easy assembly and easier operation
- Elegant, maintenance free construction and eco-friendly design
- Very reasonably priced
- Available in different sizes
- The product is backed by a one-year warranty and great customer service
- User manual is somewhat confusing
If you have an in-ground pool, this is definitely the best option considering the price and different sizes. If you want a reel that makes covering and uncovering your pool easy, look no further.
2. Nova Microdermabrasion Inground Pool Cover Reel Set
This is another great pool cover reel that can make your life easy. The 7’ thick aluminum pipe really feels sturdy. What really stands out about this reel is that it has adjustable width i.e. between 17 and 21 feet. The reel comes with seven polls and can easily accommodate a cover that is as long as 22 feet.
The connecting straps are fairly long and you can attach it to covers of different styles and designs. It allows the reel to accommodate covers of virtually any shape from rectangular to oyster shaped and everything in between.
- Durable construction
- Long straps for easy connections
- Adjustable width
- Eco-friendly, hand crank design
- Assembly can be a little tricky
- No warranty
This is a great choice in case you’ve a unique and uncommon pool shape and want a reel with adjustable width.
3. Aqua Splash 16 Ft. In Ground Swimming Pool Cover Reel
The Aqua Splash pool cover reel has an interesting three-end design which allows you stationery placement or fence mounting. Unlike the other models that we have reviewed so far, this does not have wheels – which has its pros and cons.
It really excels when it comes to its unique design because of the wide rack bearings which make rolling super easy. It has a sturdy, corrosion resistant build. Another impressive feature of the Aqua Splash is the telescoping tubes that come with a locking mechanism to prevent sagging. The reel is compatible with blankets that are 8 to 12 mm thick.
- Sturdy, elegant build
- Reasonably priced
- Quirky, 3-end design for quick rolling
- Easy to assemble
- 3-year warranty
- No wheels
If you don’t mind a stationary reel, this is a very good option, especially if you’ve a rectangular pool. It’s very lightweight and can be mounted on a fence. It’s hard not to love the versatility of this reel.
4. Inground Swimming Pool Blanket Solar Cover Reel
Unlike most other pool color reels that have their straps glued to the main pipe, this roller comes with the straps hooked directly into the pipes. Another unique feature of this reel is that the main pipe is made of five individual tubes, connected together.
While most reels look awkward, the aluminum gives it a good outlook. Because of the innovative design, it is suitable for virtually any pool width, from 3 feet to 21 feet, and any pool shape. Assembling the reel takes less than an hour. However, the operation is slightly tedious because the reel is very lightweight, and can move around if you pull the cover too quickly.
- Sturdy main pipe made of five small aluminum tubes
- Can fit a variety of pool covers
- Manual, one hand crank operation to roll the cover
- Two large tires for easy maneuvering
- Very easy to assemble
- You’ve to unroll the cover slowly or the reel can move around, unless it’s secured to the ground or mounted on a fence
This is a fairly decent choice, and offers convenient covering, uncovering of the pool. Just make sure to pull the cover slowly to avoid the reel from moving around.
5. Rocky’s 3A In Ground Pool Solar Reel – Up to 20 Feet Wide
Rocky’s 3A pool solar reel is unlike any other run-of-the-mill reels. It has a distinct design and offers many advantages over its competitors, but with one major flaw.
Designed for in ground pools that are up to 20 feet wide, this reel is made of diecast aluminum for high durability and baked enamel finish gives it and exquisite look. To avoid sagging of the cover, the reel comes with 3-inch cubing that has 12 sides.
Unlike most other reels, it has four wheels and two hooks that can be tightened into the ground to stop the reel from moving during operation.
The only major problem with this reel is the set up. You need to drill about 20 holes into the aluminum tubing, which needs some handyman skills. Most people will find this to be a very daunting task. On top of that, it costs more than most other options on this list. Although a local home improvement store might be able to drill the holes for you, but that will add to the cost.
- Innovative anti-sagging mechanism and design with attention to detail
- Four wheels for easy moving
- Two anchoring hooks for keeping the reel stationary
- Very high-quality construction
- Easy to assemble and straightforward instructions backed by online videos
- Comparatively pricey
- The lightweight of the reel can cause it move around when covering the pool
If you want to invest in a reel that will last for a very long time and won’t give you any hassle (other than the assembling process), this is a no-brainer.
6. Automatic Solar Blanket Cover Reel/Roller – Remote Controlled
Those who want to cover and uncover their pools on a daily basis, the manual reel may not be the best option. In that case considers the automatic pool cover roller that works with the click of a button.
This is a solar battery powered, motorized roller that can roll even a thick blanket in no time, without you having to raise a finger. It makes the whole process super convenient, after you set it up. Setting it up is also very simple, especially if you follow the online video demo.
- Remote controlled operation makes life easy
- Solar powered, also backed by AC/DC charger
- Very powerful
- One-year warranty
- Initial setup can be a little time consuming, but not too complicated
If you want a reel that doesn’t involve any manual effort at all, this reel is definitely worth a short.
7. Easyzon Pool Solar Cover Reel for Inground Swimming Pools
If you’ve a big pool, and need a reel that can hold a really heavy cover, consider the Easyzon reel for inground pools – which can hold up to 132 lbs. One hand crank operation, two big wheels and a well-thought-out design, it has everything that any other pool cover reel can have.
However, while most other reels are made of aluminum, Easyzon is made of stainless steel. This means that it will not only last forever, but is also heavier and won’t move when you roll or unroll your cover.
- Durable, stainless steel body
- Affordable price
- Ideal for in-ground pools from 5 to 20 feet wide
- Hassle-free, one hand, crank operation
- Reasonably priced
- Not ideal for very thick covers
- Assembling can be complicated
- Might get a little saggy for a heavy pool cover in the middle when fully extended
This might not be the very best reel on the list, but if you want a better build quality than aluminum, the Easyzon gives you the option of stainless steel.
8. Best Choice Products 21ft Aluminum Inground Swimming Pool Cover Reel
The reel by Best Choice Products uses stainless steel for its legs and aluminum for the main pipe. It tries to achieve strength and still be lightweight. It allows one-person hand cranking for easy operation. Assembling it is very easy and it can be moved around, thanks to the two large plastic, treated tires. The reel can hold up to 140 pounds of cover.
- Sturdy build and can accommodate 21 feet of pool cover
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to operate
- Elegant design
- The Velcro straps are glued to the reel, which may eventually come off
While the reel itself it pretty amazing but the straps aren’t of great quality. It can be worth the price if you can invest in better straps that don’t use glue.
9. Pool Boy Powered Pool Solar Blanket Reel
Another automatic solar reel that works with the push of a button, and fortunately doesn’t cost an arm and a leg like most other automatic reels. It can accommodate pool covers up to 20 feet wide. The reel is electric and its 40-foot long cable can plug into any GFCI outlet. Made of heavy-duty aluminum, it is a great choice for those who have a medium sized pool and don’t want the hassle of cranking their reel.
- Electric reel, can be operated by pushing a button on the remote
- It’s not cheap, but for an automatic reel, it’s fairly priced
- Easy to set up
- From a reputable company with great customer service
- Cumbersome remote setup
- You’ve to flip a safety switch/key every time to use the remote
While this isn’t expensive for an electric reel, the automatic rolling does come at a higher cost. If you don’t mind the price tag and don’t want the hassle of a hand cranked reel, this is definitely worth a look.
These quick reviews should help you understand the pros and cons of each item, and also which reel best suits the shape and design of your pool. Keep in mind your personal needs and expectations and then choose the one that seems to be the best fit.