Are you jostling with your faulty pump? With the pool season around the corner why to spoil the fun? The role of a variable pool pump cannot be undermined when it comes to clear, clean and healthy pools to enjoy with your family and friends.
It is important that the power of your pool should match ideally with your swimming pool to work efficiently. Besides this, there are several other factors like energy efficiency and cost which is likely to affect your buying decision.
- 1 Detailed Review of 6 Top Variable Speed Pool Pumps
- 1.1 1. Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump
- 1.2 2. Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump, 1 1/2 Horsepower
- 1.3 3. Sta-Rite P6E6VS4H-209L IntelliPro Variable Speed High Performance Pump
- 1.4 4. Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar Variable-Speed Pool Pump
- 1.5 5. Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump
- 1.6 6. Hayward SP2602VSP Super Pump VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump
- 2 Factors to be considered before buying a variable pool pump: Buying Guide
- 3 Conclusion
Detailed Review of 6 Top Variable Speed Pool Pumps
We have listed high rated pool pumps which will make your pool arrangements a breeze. This compilation for 6 best variable speed pool pumps assures to include best of variable pool pumps available in the market with their relative advantages and disadvantages.
1. Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump
It is a pool pump by Pentair, which is designed strategically to last and comes with three horsepower operation. This efficient pool pump works well at maximum RPMs. It facilitates easy troubleshooting with its built-in diagnostic feature.
It is compatible with multiple control system from the brands like Easy touch, IntelliTouch SunTouch, etc. You can easily integrate it with your spa jet, heating, lighting as well as other water feature control system.
As compared with many variable pool pumps in the market, this one works more quietly just at 45 decibels.
- It is an energy star certified product
- It comes with a built-in diagnostic feature
- 8 programmable speeds offer wide settings variety
- The fully integrated keypad makes it extremely convenient to use.
- Sturdy looks making it an excellent product to showcase
- Programming directions are a bit confusing for novice users
2. Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump, 1 1/2 Horsepower
This promising pump proves to be energy efficiency by cutting down your power expenses by 80% as compared to the other variable pool pumps in the market. An override speed setting with three variable speed settings makes it an efficient variable pump.
It is very easy to use with its intuitive interface. It offers a speed range between 600 and 3450 rpm. The TEFC motor is provided to slow down the noise levels and vibration. It is an eco-friendly pump and appropriate for the users who are seeking a simplified and convenient pool pump.
It is an energy certified product that is easy to manage, making it a perfect choice for novice users.
- It offers three-speed operations settings
- Energy efficient pump saves on your utility bills
- An in-built clock with memory retention up to 24 hours
- User-friendly interface
- TECF motor
- In spite of TECF motor, few users’ complaint about its loud noise
3. Sta-Rite P6E6VS4H-209L IntelliPro Variable Speed High Performance Pump
A whisper-quiet operable variable high speed pump which offers reliability and smooth operations. The fairly large amount of settings helps in saving a good amount of money by adjusting the flow rate as per the requirements. It is estimated to use annual energy around 1150 kWh.
The motor of this pump runs on the same technology as hybrid automobiles run. The fan-controlled motor extends its durability and helps in operating quietly. There are built-in diagnostic safeguards which intimate the users any issue within seconds.
You can efficiently add the pool features without any negative effects on the efficiency of the pump.
- Eight programmable settings to manage the flow rate
- An integrated keypad
- A responsive pump which is very efficient
- A quiet-running variable pool pump
- It comes with freeze protection feature
- It offers a great flow rate
- Access to all the speed settings is a time-consuming process
4. Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar Variable-Speed Pool Pump
The sleek design of this pool pump does not refrain from its great capacity. Moderately weighted, the plastic cover over the inner parts makes it corrosion resistant. The permanent magnet motor comes with TEFC, making it an excellently engineered pool pump.
It has a very efficient which helps the user save a considerable amount of money on account of utility bills in a very short time. It works as an impeller and diffuser with its advanced hydraulic technology. The digital control board makes the interface user friendly.
You can easily mount the pump in any way you prefer.
- Reliable and powerful motor for efficient operations
- A fairly compact pool pump
- Quiet and versatile with operations
- It offers promising durability
- It is one of the highly customizable pool pumps
- Easy and simple to maintain
- The DIY installation is challenging
- The manufacturer offers just 1-year warranty
5. Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump
It is an energy efficient pool pump which comes with a built-in clock to ease the users to make various programming changes. There is a new wiring department which ensures reliable and easy installation. If you are looking for an upgrade to save money and less energy use, this is an ideal deal.
It has a totally enclosed TPEFC design. There is a see-through strainer cover also available. It is one of the durable pumps in the market which runs at a whisper quiet speeds. If you have smaller pools with no heaters and minimal features, this pump will work best for your pool.
- Intuitive control scheme
- The pump is very easy to connect
- It comes with an inbuilt programmable clock
- Easy installation
- Rightly sized for fast payback as compared to other variable pumps
- Pump develops a slight squeal with over 2000 revolutions per minute
- Few users complaint about Faulty circuit board
6. Hayward SP2602VSP Super Pump VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump
A reliable and high performing pool pump which can perfectly fit stringent budgets! If you compare it with a single or double speed variable pumps in the market, you will find it incredibly quiet. The enclosed fan cooled motor is not only responsible for quiet operation but also for extended motor durability.
It offers a touchpad control which is fully programmable and can be rotated to 4 different positions. It comes with universal compatibility. It allows matching its speed with your preferences. The variable speed of this pump goes from 600 rpm to 3450 rpm.
- Powerful TEFC motor for extended durability
- Energy Star certified to cut down your utility bills
- Easy to install and use
- The digital control interface allows it to move in all 4 directions
- It is an eco-friendly deal
- It does not include certain features
Factors to be considered before buying a variable pool pump: Buying Guide
To pick the right variable pool pump, it is important to consider some of the important aspects as follows:
If the PVC plumb to your pool does not match with your pump’s horsepower, you will be in extreme trouble. A high-horsepower pump required diameter pipes higher than 1.5 inches. For a pump, more than one horse-power, 2.5 inches to 3 inches pipes are best suited
The maximum horsepower accepted by a setup depends on the filter’s flow rating. The filter needs to withstand a certain volume of water flowing through
Mostly two models as 15 volts and 230 volts are available. Check the voltage of your existing pump using a multimeter.
The horsepower of your pump is directly associated with the use of energy. Even if your pumps boast a great horsepower of three, your pool might not require the same. It is important to choose the horsepower judicially to conserve the energy.
Each listed variable pool pump offers certain advantages. But these are also listed with certain drawbacks. Hence, it is important to outline your set of preferences and requirements first. Decide on your budget and narrow down your search and all the products which fit the product range.
Choosing a product which suffices your needs without pinching hard your pockets is an ideal deal. Now, are you ready to kick-out your existing single speed pump and switch over to energy efficient variable pool pump?